Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sicker than a dog

     I don't really know where the term, "Sicker than a dog," came from.  There is one thing that I can tell you for sure though, that is what we all have been in this family .  The last couple of weeks have been a blur of sickness, doctor visits and even emergency visits.  We have been through quite a bit, and when I got my kids and hubby feeling a little better, I came down with it and I was sure that Jesus was going to take me home one of the nights.  Not really, I'm being a bit dramatic, but that thought did go through my head a couple times as I laid in my bed.  My poor husband had finally taken some time off and we did get a short trip in as you know, but the rest of the time was just being sick.  He even was off some more days because it was just that bad.
     Now before you think that I am just complaining, which maybe I am a little, I'll let you know that you can learn and grow in your faith during a time like this.  Every time something else would happen I would ask God, "Really? Can't you just heal us? Can't you just make it alright now?"  But you know, I realize that He isn't going to just snap His fingers and make life easy.  He isn't going to make my life some little story book. 
     I also realized that this was just another opportunity for me to give of myself sacrificially to my family. I have served before, and have been on a few missions trips.  The thing is, if the person I was supposed to meet with was sick, we'd reschedule.  Not so with my family.  They need you all the time, whether or not puke and other things make you gag, whether or not you're too tired to check their temperature every hour all night, or even if you are sick yourself as you give your son a drink every five minutes to fight dehydration.  No, they still needed me and I had put myself aside so that they may get better.  I didn't want to sometimes, just so you don't get the wrong idea about me.  I am not that sacrificial sometimes.  There were times that I thought, "Isn't there anyone else who can do this so that I can rest?"  The answer was no, God gave us these children, and He gave me this husband.  He didn't give them to someone else to take care of, to raise, or to become one with.  He gave them to me, to bless me, but to also make me a better servant.  I also realized that even after a couple weeks like that, there is no other place I would rather be.  I love my husband and I love my children.  Both types of relationships help us see a glimpse of the love God has for us. If He loves me and my family infinately more than I love them, then how could I do anything but worship Him. 
     He took me in when I was sick in spirit and when I was condemned.  He has given my spirit living water when I was dehydrated from being apart from Him.  Tonight as we drove home from seeing my parents, there was a song on the radio that quotes the words from Revelations.  "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!" He is isn't He? All perfect, all knowing, and all loving.  As we sang that song softly together in the car, I felt as if all the worry, anxiety and exhaustion had been lifted off my shoulders.  God never promised that we wouldn't have difficult times, He did promise to be there for us when those times came.  Looking back I see that He was there with me at 2 am, He was there comforting me as I heard people were praying for us, and He will always be there for eternity.
“Worthy are you, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they existed and were created.” Rev. 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment