"If there is something about the Irish, there’s also something fun about St. Patrick’s Day. Maybe it’s that it comes in the middle of a bland month, where it’s not quite winter, and for most of us, not quite spring. Or maybe it’s because for at least a day, most everyone seems to embrace the Irish, political and social rivalries notwithstanding.
News reports will be filled today with images of parades and revelers, some reveling too much. There will be the sounds of fiddlers playing jigs and singing old tunes of the motherland, some sad, some not. I wonder how many of our kids will be reminded of not just who we’re celebrating – but why?"
He then goes on to write about the history as I just did...but then goes on to say...
"So there is Saint Patrick, a man ahead of his time, attempting to be real and relevant, climbing inside the pagan worldview of another country and culture in order to gain credibility and win converts for Christ.
This is why we celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day.
And this is why I can say with enthusiastic certainty, yes, there is something wonderful about the Irish."
Thought this was funny cuz I just wrote about this, maybe I'm not the only nerd that finds history a way to know Christ better.
No comments:
Post a Comment